Researching Impact of Gamification Mechanisms on Intrinsic Motivation
We last featured PhD student Elisa Mekler from the Center of Cognitive Psychology and Methodology at the University of Basel to discuss her 2013 research paper on whether gamification elements such as points, levels and leaderboards undermine user’s intrinsic motivation. The results garnered from the study was profoundly surprising as empirical evidence supporting the hypothesis was lacking prior to the research.
Watch the full interview below to learn about:
- How was the study constructed and designed to examine each mechanism?
- What were the surprising results generated from the study? Were there outliers?
- Has there been controversy or surprise generated in academic circle due to the results?
- How was the process of getting gamification research approved and funded?
- What are the next steps and opportunities in deepening further gamification research?
- What ways could gamification industry practitioners help to boost future research?
Watch the video below and be sure to catch our next episode of the Gamification Revolution.